Jessi Pujji knows a thing or two about customer acquisition. He’s a Jedi at social media marketing and has worked with some of the largest modern direct-to-consumer brands to help create and execute on their campaigns. Pujji showed up on the Founder’s Field Guide Podcast (ep. 27) with Patrick O’Shaughnessy this week and gave an … Continue reading Podcast Of The Week: A Customer Acquisition Cost Masterclass With Jessi Pujji
Before Joe McClean became “the money-whisperer to the NBA elite,” he was a professional basketball hopeful. After almost making the NBA on several occasions, he got cut for the final time. Frustrated but determined to start a new chapter, he made a fresh start in finance - first with asset managers, then as an advisor. … Continue reading A Great Player Is Someone Everybody Wants To Play With: Insights from The Pro’s Pro Joe McClean
I think I was in high school when someone first explained the economics of running ads versus offering coupons to me. Either way, it was way late in life to be first encountering this logic, but it’s worth revisiting (for the kids of course). This logic represents some of the most basic building blocks we … Continue reading Thinking About Ads, Coupons, Taxes and Tariffs
Why do we retire at 65? Where does that number even come from? Charlie Ellis explained it to Ted Seides on the Capital Allocators podcast as only he can - working backward with “why?” like a forever curious child (and he’s what, 80 years old now?!). Here’s the gist: Back when the Social Security Administration … Continue reading Where Did “Retire at 65” Come From?
There’s a clever distinction in finance between being “risk averse” and “risk aware.” Someone might be opposed (aka averse) to taking any risk (“I bury my money in the backyard”), or comfortable with certain risks they understand they are taking (aka aware, “I bury my hard drive with my Bitcoin info on it in my … Continue reading Coulda/Shoulda/Woulda and Risk
What are the odds? 80% fat free is still 20% fat. 80% of those things sticking off of your palm are fingers, 20% is thumb. A 70% chance of a Hillary Clinton victory still left a 30% chance of a Trump victory. About 70% of the week is a weekday, while the other 30% is … Continue reading What Are The Odds?
When you have a skill that can help someone else with their project, you - collectively - have “positive synergies.” When you can’t apply your skill to their project because it just doesn’t make sense, or worse, if you’d actually slow their project down by being involved, then you – again, collectively - have “negative … Continue reading SOTP For Synergies (Not A Typo)
I’ve noticed recently as things in the world have gotten, shall we say, “a little more volatile,” that people are starting to throw the word "hedge" around. I’ve also noticed that not everyone may be aware of what they’re referring to. It’s actually pretty simple, so let me try to help. Picture an old European … Continue reading Financial Jargon Translator: “Hedge”